Wednesday, August 22, 2007

08/22/07 - We're Not In Grade-School Anymore Toto

So tonight was the first night I got to really enjoy my slashed schedule. Wednesday nights have been working with youth as long as I can remember... but tonight I enjoyed my wife!

We went for a walk about 7:00 and headed over to Seminary Food Store (a grocery) and got little frozen ice bars... they were pretty good (and only 6o cents each!). Then we kept walking and came upon... Stephen's Park. No really, that is it's name! I didn't know I had a park named after me! Wow. *I'd like to thank all the little people I had to step on to get here....*

So we went and sat down in the swings to watch a big soccer game going on. It was not any team, just a bunch of Hispanic guys playing. There were 24 people on the field (how many in normal soccer... I think the internet says 11 per team but that just seems like so many!). So anyways, I was swinging as I sat and watched and I realized, this is kinda small for me. Hmm... the joyous days of no responsibilities has gone. Gone are the hours on the playground. Gone are the days of recess.

All this came to a point when it was time to go. I decided that I would jump out of the swing for old times sake. So I did the whole rocking to gain momentum thing. Back and forth. Back and forth. (while doing this I wondered if I could swing high enough to go all the way over the top... and if I did, would my skin turn inside-out?). Higher and higher I swung. And just at the right moment, I propelled my body out of the swing in anticipation of that joyous moment of weightless flight... and as my body was leaving the swing....... my feet touched the ground and I just ended up standing. No flight. No joy. Just a tall kid standing up out of the swing.

*sigh*

oh well. Those times have passed. I guess life is like that... further up and further in... no looking back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there are 11 on a side in real soccer: 4 forwards, 3 middleback, 3 fullbacks, and a goalie.

Sorry you can no longer fly off the swings :( But good CS Lewis reference!

Valerie

Unknown said...

have you seen the Mythbuster where they see if you CAN swing all way around?!?!? And when you don't - they put rockets on Buster and MAKE him go all the way around?!?!?!?