Friday, May 25, 2007

Bwige's Uncle

Hey,

I was just told that Bwige's Uncle probably has only about a day to live (his liver has given out). So be praying for him and his family.

To be honest, I don't know how to feel about this. He is one of those guys who didn't take care of himself, received a heart transplant, and still ate whatever he wanted and never exercised. So he's been sick for years now. He knows what he does, but didn't care enough to change it.

So what should I do with that?

On top of that, he has been a nominal Mormon for a while (married into it). But even that he didn't take seriously from what I know (he stopped practicing when his wifed died a long time ago).

So what do I do? I have no doubt his sister has given him all the evangelism he wants. I am sure he has heard it all. With his mind pretty far gone from sickness what could be said, what should be said? What is rude what isnt?

I dont what to feel on this. The practical side of me says that he is getting what he has earned repeatedly over the last many many years of irresponsible living. And its hard to find compassion for someone who has for all practical purposes killed someone else. (aka, he got a new heart and wasted it, therefore someone else died who needed one and would have used the second chance at life wisely). For me, a wasted new heart is one of the most despicable things you can do...

Then the compassionate side of me says that my sins make me the same thing before a holy God; my sins crucified Christ. And we are called to love people no matter what. But we are not supposed to empower them to do so and just put it aside when they do so. The compassionate side of me reminds me that he is a human being and worth love. I mean... I do care for this guy, I dont know him terribly well, but he is a nice, good guy. I have nothing at all against him.

And then I think... he is hours away from an eternity in hell... and my heart breaks for him despite all he has done. I shudder even at the thought of it... And I wonder if I should go and at least try and witness to him. But I'm pretty sure that his mind is far gone enough at this point that there probably isn't anything that can be done. And I would not say anything he hasn't heard 100 times before...

So what do you guys think? What should be done, what should be prayed for? How do I process this?

No comments: